The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) is helping to identify and recruit more than 4,000 Contract Tracers for local health departments. Contact Tracers are a vital part of Illinois’ efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Contract Tracers work from home and will need a phone and internet connection. They will help health professionals discover who has the COVID-19 virus, who they have been in contact with and how the virus is spreading.
Contract Tracer Skill Requirements
You do not need a background in infectious disease or public health to qualify for a Contract Tracer position. Here is what is needed for the position:
- Good customer service skills
- Good communication skills
- Attention to detail and organization
- The ability to work flexibly in a changing environment
- An understanding of cultural competencies when working with diverse communities
- Being comfortable using a computer, internet, and other applications
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and complete HIPAA training requirement
Tracers will reach out to individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 and help them remember and identify the people they have been in close contact with during their diagnosis period. This will be done by asking questions about where the person has been and with whom they may have been in close proximity. Once those exposed individuals are identified, contact tracers will then make a list of those people and contact them.
Job candidates should submit the IDPH Contact Tracing Interest Form. Your submission will be forwarded to local health departments and they will follow up with you.