The state has increased funding for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) programs to help families impacted by the pandemic. Applicants for these programs will be served on a first-come, first-served basis until funding is exhausted.
These programs provide assistance with food, rent, utilities, temporary shelter, medicine and other essential household services.
- LIHEAP helps eligible low-income households pay for home energy services, including assistance with heating, gas, and electricity. More information on services available in your region can be found by visiting your Local Administering Agency (LAA) website. The deadline for FY20 LIHEAP services is June 30, 2020; however FY21 LIHEAP enrollment opens up earlier than usual on July 27, 2020.
- CSBG offers Illinoisans an opportunity to receive support for an array of essential services including rent assistance, food, temporary shelter, medicine and more. Check your local Community Action Agency (CAA) webpage for a list of available services near you. CSBG remains open all year with expanded income eligibility guidelines in effect as of February 2020.
Who is eligible?
Households with a combined gross income within 200% of the federal poverty level, in the 30 days prior to application, may be eligible to apply. Please refer to the chart below to determine if your household falls within the 200% federal poverty level:
Residents who believe they may be eligible are encouraged to visit the website and follow easy steps to apply. The State is reminding applicants of the following documentation required for applying, depending on type of assistance being sought:
- Proof of employment (paystubs) for the head of the household for the last 30 days.
- Copy of current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days (if they pay for their energy directly).
- Copy of their rental agreement (if they are renting) showing that utilities are not included, the monthly rental amount and landlord contact information.
- Proof of Social Security numbers for all household members.
For more information and to apply go to www.helpillinoisfamilies.com.